Saturday, October 17, 2009

Inspiration from West Dean #2

One for the hard-landscaping wishlist here....

There's a little loggia that formed the full stop to a very long pergola at West Dean Gardens (there's a picture of it on the front page of the gardens section of their website if you want to see it in its full glory). And inside, without a word of fanfare, there is quite the most beautiful floor I think I've ever seen.

It's very much in the local vernacular - the whole of West Dean seems to be built of flint from the nearby South Downs. I just fell in love with it.


It has such wonderful texture and a kind of instant agedness. I suspect the flint-knapping students at the nearby Weald and Downland Museum in Singleton may have had a hand in this. I wonder if they're looking for a course project in Surrey....?

1 comment:

Diana Studer said...

What about the bee inspired paving at Hampton court this year? I was fascinated by the honeycomb, and the bees, all done with 2? colours of rounded river pebbles.

Related Posts with Thumbnails