Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Boom, boom, boom.....!

I'm pathetically amused by groan-inducing horticultural puns, so for those of you who aren't grafted at the ear to Radio 4 like I am and missed it, I faithfully repeat here an uncharacteristically garden-related line from the preamble for I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue last night, broadcast from Southwark, south London. For full effect, imagine it delivered in the laconic tones of Jack Dee.

"Another attraction near here is the Museum of Garden History, in Lambeth Palace Road. During a recent revamp, there was a heated dispute over whether to include modern garden features. The head designer became angry with the garden manager, tempers flared and he decked him."

Yeah, I know, it's not the best, and we'll overlook the extraordinary number of things they got wrong in one short joke (including the name of the museum) but hell, gardening humour has now arrived in the mainstream. And besides, I was just giggling at the idea of the urbane, charming and utterly sophisticated Christopher Woodward (director of said Museum and responsible for its reincarnation as the beating heart of the gardening community) getting cross enough to have a heated dispute with anyone.

4 comments:

LittleGreenFingers said...

I haven't been able to face ISIHAC since Humph died. I probably should return to the fold, if only so I don't miss any more gems...

Martyn Cox said...

I can't resist a gardening pun and this one certainly works for me.
http://martyncox.biz/blog

The Constant Gardener said...

LGF - know exactly what you mean. It could never be the same show after Humph. But - I do think Jack Dee is brilliant. That deadpan thing he has going has just enough hint of Humph to make it still the same programme, but different if you know what I mean!

and hello Martyn :D thought you might enjoy a good joke!

VP said...

We went to the ISAHAC show in Cheltenham in September having been twice during Humph's time. It wasn't quite the same, but Jack Dee's deadpan delivery comes very close.

WV says florc, which describes my state perfectly after that joke! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails