Thursday, July 09, 2009

A hole in the ground

Here's what stole the show at Hampton Court for me this week:



Much to my surprise, as I'm aware I'm usually a bit more conventional - even, dare I say it, square - about these things, it was this tiny experimental garden from Rebecca Butterworth, Victoria Pustygina and Ludovica Ginanneschi which for me beat into a cocked hat all the bells-and-whistles big show gardens and even the quirky Henry VIII's Wives gardens (not sure jawbones will catch on as garden ornaments but you never know).

The thing I liked most about it was that as you approach, the mirrors create the illusion that the planting is stretching away underneath the ground like some subterranean cavern. It's a truly lovely effect.

The planting was fabulous too - all big gorgeous colocasias (alocasias? never could tell the difference) and the slender elegance of Cyperus alternifolius: there were some very understated hemerocallis in there too in just the right shade of dusky pink and butterscotch. It was all beautifully well-judged and deservedly won not only a gold medal but also Best Conceptual Garden.

The garden has a painfully pretentious official write-up - presumably originating from the designers themselves which is mildly worrying - but I got around that by not trying to 'understand' it too much. For me it worked simply as a small but exquisite little piece of planting heaven.

3 comments:

Rob said...

I had seen a picture of this garden, I think a few nights ago when I was a bit too tired to work out the optical illusion. It is genius isn't it? Quite a simple concept, and something one could easily organise at home.

Those would be Colocasias, but don't ask me how they differ from Alocasias....

Frances, said...

Like Rob, I had seen this photographed but didn't realize about the mirrors. Or that there were daylilies, thanks for these details.

Frances
http://fairegarden.wordpress.com/

LudoLady said...

Sorry to find out these comments on our garden this late! The illusion was given in a quite simple way, just a mirror on each side reflecting plants over and over again.
You were right: Colocasia eusculenta and its black variety 'Black Magic', a really nice plant with architectural strong shape but with quite a light feeling!

You can find more photos and the complete plant list at
www.designinlatitude.co.uk

Related Posts with Thumbnails